David S Evans is an economist whose work on platform businesses, the digital economy, financial services, and antitrust economics is widely cited. He is the author of nine books and more than 150 articles on those and other economic topics.
Evans uses his research to advise companies, from early-stage firms to the largest global digital businesses, and for testimony before courts, legislatures, and regulators in the US and abroad. He regularly speaks to global audiences on digital transformation, platform businesses, and antitrust.
Evans is the Global Head, Digital Economy and Platform Markets, at Berkeley Research Group (BRG). He is also the founder of Market Platform Dynamics. He taught at the University of Chicago Law School from 2006-2016 and the University College London from 2004-2022.
Evans was trained at the University of Chicago, where he earned his Ph.D. in economics, and lives in Boston.
"Platform economics is key for digital economy businesses, from design to strategy, and for applying antitrust economics to them."
- The Antitrust Economics of Multi-Sided Platform Markets, Yale Journal on Regulation, 2003, 20(2)
- Some Empirical Aspects of Multi-Sided Platform Industries, Review of Network Economics (RNE), Vol. 2, No. 3, September 2003
- The Online Advertising Industry: Economics, Evolution, and Privacy, Journal of Economic Perspectives, Spring 2009
- How Catalysts Ignite: The Economics of Platform-Based Start-Ups, In PLATFORMS, MARKETS AND INNOVATION, A. Gawer, ed., Cheltenham, UK and Northampton, MA, US: Edward Elgar, 2009
- Industrial Organization of Markets with Two-Sided Platforms, Competition Policy International, Vol. 3, No. 1, Spring 2007 (with Richard Schmalensee)
- Why the Dynamics of Competition for Online Platforms Leads to Sleepless Nights But Not Sleepy Monopolies, N. Charbit, ed., Douglas H. Ginsburg Liber Amicorum: An Antitrust Professor on the Bench, Concurrences 2017
- Antitrust Economics of Free, Competition Policy International, Spring 2011
- Governing Bad Behavior by Users of Multi-Sided Platforms, Berkeley Technology Law Journal, Vol 2, Issue 27, Fall 2012
- Attention Platforms, the Value of Content, and Public Policy, Review of Industrial Organization vol 54, 2019
- Vertical Restraints in a Digital World, Evans David S., Allan Fels, and Catherine Tucker, eds., The Evolution of Antitrust in the Digital Era: Essays on Competition Policy (Boston: Competition Policy International, 2020).